Lead Nurse at LVS Ascot, Laura Chandler, completes Ultra Challenge – Double marathon in the Sahara Desert

20 Oct 2023

Share article:

Tags:

Lead Nurse at LVS Ascot, Laura Chandler, recently pushed herself to her limits when she undertook the Saharan Challenge with Ultra Challenge. This consists of two marathon distances which are completed over two days, with two nights stay in Marrakech either side of the challenge. Laura had been training for over a year; running three times a week, taking part in several marathons and half marathons, as well as four 50km races and one 24 hour race in the lead up to the challenge.

Laura flew to Marrakech on Wednesday 11th October and stayed in a hotel for one night, before embarking on a 6 hour drive through the Atlas Mountains to get to her camp on the outskirts of Tizguine. She then completed her first marathon on Friday 13th October, followed by the second marathon on Saturday 14th October, and then returned to Marrakech on the Sunday.

Laura said:

‘It was brutal. Temperatures rose to 41 degrees, and we had no shade for hours. The terrain made it difficult as we were travelling not only over sand, but scrambling through rock plains, boulders, and some steep hills. It pushed me to my absolute limits but is something I will be forever proud of. I ran to support Naomi House Hospice in memory of a little boy who I nursed several years ago, and we have currently raised over £2500 for the wonderful cause.’