The Infant & Junior School Diploma rewards pupils for hard work and enthusiasm.
The LVS Ascot Infant & Junior School Diploma has been created to take our Learning Values & Skills into the everyday life of our pupils and is designed to bridge the gap between school and home.
Whilst working toward this diploma, pupils are given the opportunity to have experiences that are not traditionally taught in the classroom, such as working out local public transport links, working with the elderly and learning basic first aid.
The diploma activities take place twice a week after lunch and some of our current pupils working toward their diploma are participating in the daily mile, tending to our vegetable patch, learning mindfulness and developing their leadership skills.
We encourage our pupils to keep up to date with current affairs and discuss what they think with their peers. These discussions are designed to develop speaking and listening skills as well as working with others to clarify their own methods of thinking.
Each activity within the Diploma session is designed and selected to promote and develop one of the Learning Values. Staff will discuss with their pupils all the options and try to help them select activities which will strengthen areas where they are less confident. Some of the options available to pupils are listed below under the corresponding Learning Value. These activities change regularly so that our pupils have a wide range of options open to them.
Curiosity and Creativity
- Take part in an art competition
- Learn to sew
- Create a photography portfolio
- Perform in the choir
- Write an article to be published in the newsletter
- Learn how to touch type
- Plan and create a class display board
- Plan, prepare and present TED talks on a range of topics
Resilience and Risk-taking
- Learn to play a musical instrument
- Attend chosen club every week
- Take part in a sponsored walk/5K run/event
- Learn map skills and complete an orienteering challenge
- Plan and cook a meal for your family
- Take up a new sport
- Deliver a short song/activity/game in another language (MFL) to KS1 children
Empathy and Reflection
- Act as a tour guide at a school open morning
- Support and be a buddy for a new child who has joined LVS Ascot
- Write reflections of school trips, house events, and school events to be published in newsletters
- Deliver a personal reflection speech to your house in a house meeting
- Volunteer at care home/foodbank
- Fundraise for a chosen charity
- Recycling project
- Learn mindfulness and meditation skills.